Burberry has opened an immersive installation in Selfridges’ flagship creative retail space, The Corner Shop.
Open from this week until 29 March, the custom-built space celebrates the fashion house’s rich history in discovery and exploration, a time when Burberry’s protective gabardine was favoured by polar pioneers. Creating an abstract snowspace, expedition sleds with Burberry silk-scarf sails contrast with silver mirrored cubes.
The installation and windows also draw on the animal kingdom – reinforcing the fashion house’s long-standing recognition of the power and symbolism of animals. The fashion house’s founder Thomas Burberry chose to present his company with an emblem of a knight on a horse and for his family crest, he chose a unicorn. Chief Creative Officer Riccardo Tisci built on this history by reinterpreting the use of animals as a new house code in
his debut collection and continues to explore animal references each season.
To celebrate this theme within Burberry’s Spring/Summer 2020 collection and in a nod to pioneers like Sir Ernest Shackleton, who wore Burberry on his historic polar expeditions, the space also incorporated penguins which can be brought to life through an augmented reality experience. Accessed via dedicated QR codes, visitors are able to take a screenshot or a video of themselves with the penguins and share on their social platforms.
Burberry at The Selfridges Corner Shop houses an assortment of accessories from Burberry’s Spring/Summer 2020 collection including The TB Bag, hats, scarves and small leather goods. Limited-edition accessories including quilted Lola bags in dark pine green and Selfridges yellow, phone cases and socks are all available to shop in-store and online until the end of the month.
Notes to Editors:
About the Spring/Summer 2020 collection
• Burberry’s Spring/Summer collection, called Evolution, is a celebration of new house codes and is influenced by the time Burberry was founded – the Victorian era.
• The collection mixes innovative techniques with classic fabrications. A Victorian-inspired silhouette creates cinched waists and elaborate sleeves for both men and women, while fluid fabrics and hybrid details such as detachable and extendable hems feature throughout.
About The TB Bag
• Introduced as part of Riccardo Tisci’s debut collection for Burberry, The TB Bag references the initials of the fashion house’s founder, Thomas Burberry.
• The bag is available in a range of colours, styles and sizes, including a mini, small and medium bag, bum bag and envelope clutch, all with bespoke Thomas Burberry Monogram hardware.
About the Lola bag
• The Lola is a quilted and softly constructed bag which is crafted from Italian-tanned lambskin. The relaxed soft silhouette is a contrast to the structured TB Bag.
• The unique adjustable, polished chain strap is cut with a unique diamond effect, which can be worn across the body, on the shoulder or as a clutch.
• The bag, which is available in mini, small and medium sizes, features an adjustable crossbody chain strap and can be worn on the shoulder, across the body or as a clutch.
About the augmented reality experience
• Visitors to Burberry at The Selfridges Corner Shop can also pick up an exclusive Burberry sticker and poster created specifically for the pop-up.
• Once activated through the QR codes, the sticker will provide visitors with access to the augmented reality experience anywhere in the world.